12 chicken wings
1 1/3 cup (5 1/2 oz) 150 g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup beer
1 tbsp oil
4 cups (1 litre) 1 3/4 pint oil or 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs) lard
1. Combine flour, salt and cayenne pepper.
2. Separate egg yolks from whites. Beat yolks with ale and oil, then stir into dry ingredients. Set batter aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil or lard to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 in deep-fryer or chip pan with thermometer.
4. Preheat oven to 100°C (200°F) Gas Mark 1/4
5. Wash and dry chicken wings.
6. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
7. Dip chicken wings in batter before frying a few at a time in deep fat for about 4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
8. Drain on paper towel, then keep warm on dish in oven until all are done.
9. Serve garnished with wedges of lemon and fresh parsley, accompanied by potato salad with fresh herbs and radishes.