Garbure Bearnaise is a French dish with goose and various root vegetables and herbs.
2 goose leg pieces, weighing 600 g (1 1/4 lb) each
4 cups (1 litre) 1 3/4 pint water
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
4 oz (100 g) carrots
200 g (7 oz) white turnips
200 g (7 oz) potatoes
200 g (7 oz) white cabbage
200 g (7 oz) green beans
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz canned butter beans
2 sprigs chervil
1 pinch white pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Wash goose and bring to the boil with water and salt.
2. Peel onion and add to pan with bay leaf. Cook for about 20 minutes, uncovered, removing scum as it forms. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour more.
3. Scrape or peel carrots and turnips before washing and chopping them. Peel potatoes and chop, not too finely.
4. Prepare cabbage, rinse leaves and shred. Wash and chop green beans.
5. Add all prepared vegetables, together with drained butter beans, herbs and pepper to pan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Remove goose from pan and cut meat off bones, cut into cubes and return to pan.
7. Sprinkle finished dish with parsley.
50 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!