450 g (1 lb) lamb fillet, cut into chunks
2 onions, cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 green pepper, sliced
1 large potato, diced
4 carrots, sliced
2 small turnips, diced
120 g (4 oz) dried apricots, chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
225 g (8 oz) chickpeas
400 g (14 oz) canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
450 g (1 lb) couscous
850 ml (1 1/2 pints) water
1 tsp sea salt
1. To cook the chickpeas in the microwave, pour boiling water over them and leave to soak for at least 2 hours.
2. Drain, then cook them in 1.1 litres/2 pints water for 25 minutes on HIGH.
3. Combine the lamb, onion and garlic in a casserole and cook for 5 minutes on HIGH.
4. Add the vegetables, dried apricots, spices, cooked chickpeas and tomatoes and microwave for a further 15 minutes on HIGH.
5. Set the stew aside while you prepare the couscous. Place the couscous in a bowl with the salt and pour on the water.
6. Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes, until the couscous has swollen and absorbed most of the liquid. Cover the bowl and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and fluff up the couscous with a fork. Serve the lamb on top of the couscous.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!