1 lb (450 g) sausages
2 cups (1/2 lb) 225 g self raising (self rising) flour
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
for the onion gravy
1 large or 2 small onions
a little fat from the sausages or dripping (fat from roasted meat)
1 tablespoon flour
11 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml liquid, vegetable water or stock
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon English mustard powder
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 6 (400°F) 200°C
2. Place the sausages in a smallish baking tray, and bake for 5-10 minutes until the fat runs out and they begin to brown.
3. Pour off some of the fat and keep it to one side.
4. Mix the eggs, milk, salt, mustard powder and flour together, and whisk thoroughly.
5. Pour this batter into the hot tin on top of the sausages.
6. Push the sausages into a tidy pattern and put it back into the oven for between 20 and 30 minutes.
7. The sausages will continue to cook, and the pudding should rise spectacularly.
8. When brown and golden and crisp on the outside, it is ready.
to make the onion gravy
1. Slice the onions and cook them in the fat until they are pale gold.
2. Add a tablespoon of flour and stir around until pale gold as well.
3. Add the liquid. Bring to the boil while stirring gently, season to taste and there you have a lovely pale golden gravy.
4. You could add a little Worcestershire sauce to give a slight piquancy.