serves 6 - 8
25 g (1 oz) 2 Tbs Butter
2 Large onions, chopped
1 Garlic clove, crushed
700 g (1 1/2 lb) Minced (ground) beef
225 g (8 oz) Pork sausagemeat
125 g (4 oz) Tomato puree (paste)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to fairly hot 200 °C (Gas Mark 6, 400 °F).
2. Melt the butter in a frying-pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry until the onions are soft. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
3. When the mixture has cooled, stir in all the remaining ingredients and mix and beat until they are thoroughly blended. Spoon into a well-greased 1 kg (2 lb) loaf tin, smoothing the top with a knife.
4. Put the tin into the oven and bake the loaf for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and pour off any fat. Turn out on to a warmed serving dish and serve at once, if you are serving the loaf hot.