8 oz (225 g) plain flour
3 oz (75 g) walnuts, finely ground
1 oz (25 g) icing sugar, sifted
2 oz (50 g) butter
2 tbsps cold water
3 conference pears, halved, cored and
1 egg, beaten
2 oz (50 g) soft brown sugar grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 tsp lemon juice
1 oz (25 g) butter, melted
for the pastry:
Mix the flour, walnuts and icing sugar in a bowl. Rub in the butter and stir in just enough water to mix to a firm dough. Chill, wrapped in polythene, for at least 30 minutes. Use three quarters of the pastry to line an 8 inch (20 cm) pie dish.
for the filling:
1. Arrange the pears cut side down in the base of the pie.
2. Beat the egg with the sugar until well blended.
3. Stir in the lemon rind, juice and butter. Pour over the pears.
4. Arrange the remaining pastry in a lattice pattern over the pie.
5. Bake at Mark 7 (220°C) 425°F for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to Mark 4 (180°C) 350°F for 1 hour.
12 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!