350 g (12 oz) Boned chicken breasts, cut into thin strips about 5 cm (2 in) x 2 1/2 cm (1 in)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Chilli sauce
2 Tbs Dry white wine
1 Tbs Cornflour (cornstarch)
Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
75 ml (3 floz) 3/8 cup Sesame oil
1 Tbs Chopped parsley
1 1/2 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
1 1/2 Tbs Soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbs Lemon juice
1. Sprinkle the chicken strips with the salt, pepper, sugar, chilli sauce, wine and cornflour (cornstarch), rubbing them into the meat with your fingers. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for \ hours.
2. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 185°C (360F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 50 seconds. Carefully lower the chicken strips, a few at a time, into the oil and fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towels.
3. Put the eggs into a shallow bowl. When the chicken strips have been cooked, dip the strips, one by one, into the eggs and coat thickly.
4. Heat the sesame oil in a frying-pan. Add the chicken strips to the pan, in one layer if possible, and shake and tilt gently to distribute the oil evenly. Fry the strips, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes.
5. Remove the strips from the pan and arrange them, in one layer, on a very large, warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with the parsley, wine or sherry, soy sauce and lemon juice, and serve at once.