serves 6 - 8
1 Veal knuckle, sawn into 3 pieces'
1 Bouquet garni
6 Black peppercorns
5 litres (10 pints) 6 quarts Water
1/2 kg (1 lb) Blanched tripe, cut into 2 1/2 cm (1 in) pieces
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 Large carrots, chopped
2 Celery stalks, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
2 Medium potatoes, diced
2 Tbs Cornflour (cornstarch),blended with 2 Tbs water
15 g (1/2 oz) 1 Tbs Butter
2 TbsChopped parsley
1. Put the veal, bouquet garni, peppercorns and water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, skimming any scum from the surface.
2. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and lift out the knuckle.
4. Put the veal pieces on a chopping board and remove the meat from the knuckle. Discard the fat and bones and cut the meat into small cubes.
5. Strain the stock into a large bowl. Return the stock to the pan and add the tripe, onion, carrots, celery, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer the soup for 1 hour.
7. Add the potatoes and reserved veal cubes and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
8. Stir in the cornflour (cornstarch) and butter until the soup thickens slightly. Transfer to a warmed tureen, sprinkle over the parsley and serve.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!