6 - 8 servings
1 kg (2 lb) Sweetbreads, soaked in cold water for 3 hours, drained, skinned and trimmed
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
50 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup Seasoned cornflour (cornstarch), made with cornflour (cornstarch), salt, pepper and ground ginger to taste
Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
for the sauce
2 Tbs Vegetable oil
1 Small onion, finely chopped
piece Fresh root ginger, peeled 5 cm (2 in) and finely chopped
2 Large green peppers, pith and seeds removed and chopped
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
125 g (4 oz) French (green) beans, cut into 5 cm (2 in) lengths
125 g (4 oz) Bean sprouts
450 g (1 lb) Canned pineapple chunks
2 Tbs Soy sauce
4 Tbs White wine vinegar
4 Tbs Soft brown sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Cornflour (cornstarch), blended with 6 Tbs water
1. Put the sweetbreads in a large saucepan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil, remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the sweetbreads from the pan and drain on kitchen towels. Discard the water. Cut the sweetbreads into 1 cm (1/2 in) slices and transfer them to a bowl.
3. Beat the eggs and seasoned cornflour (cornstarch) together until they form a smooth batter. Pour the batter over the sweetbreads and toss gently to coat them thoroughly. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to cool 150°C (Gas Mark 2, 300°F).
5. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 185 °C (360°F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 50 seconds. Carefully lower the sweetbread slices into the oil, a few at a time, and fry for 5 to 6 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crisp. Remove the slices from the oil and drain on kitchen towels. Transfer the slices to an ovenproof dish, cover and put the dish into the oven to keep warm while you make the sauce.
6. Heat the oil in a large frying-pan. Add the onion, ginger, peppers, garlic and beans and fry until they are soft. Stir in the bean sprouts, pineapple chunks and can juice, the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and salt, and bring to the boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the cornflour (cornstarch) mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and becomes translucent. Remove the pan from the heat.
7. Remove the sweetbreads from the oven and pour over the sauce.
Serve at once.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!