1 bream, about 2 1/4 lb (1.1 kg), scaled and gutted
1 large onion, sliced into rings
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
4 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
12 black olives
Freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C).
2. Wash the fish and pat it dry with kitchen paper.
3. Heat a little oil in a heavy pan and gently fry the onion with the garlic until it is soft but not brown.
4. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and spread half the softened onion, garlic and tomato slices over the base of the dish.
5. Put the fish on top and surround with the olives.
6. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
7. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the fish, cover with the remaining tomatoes and softened onion and garlic, season again with pepper and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
8. Drizzle a little olive oil over the dish, cover loosely with foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
9. Then remove the foil and check the fish before returning it to the oven for a final 10 minutes or until it is cooked.
51 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!