serves 4 to 6
2 lb (1 kg) squid
2oz (50g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
for the stuffing
Tentacles and fins of the squid
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
12 black olives, stoned (seeded) and chopped
2 tablespoons green herbs, chopped
2 cups (4 oz) 120g fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
for the sauce for baking
1 X 14 oz (397 g) tin tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 onion, roughly chopped
Pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper
1 glass good red wine
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C).
2. Prepare the squid. Chop the fins and tentacles for the stuffing and place in a bowl.
3. Add all the other stuffing ingredients and combine to make a moist stuffing.
4. Now stuff the squid sacs. Use a trussing needle to sew up the ends with kitchen string, and place the stuffed squid in a lightly oiled casserole dish. Don't overstuff them as they will burst during baking.
5. Whizz the sauce ingredients together in a food processor or blender to make a smooth sauce, pour this over the squid,
6. Cover the dish and bake in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until the squid is tender.
7. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the dish and flash under a pre-heated grill/broiler until golden brown and bubbling.