makes 14 large eclairs
2 1/2 oz (65 g) strong plain flour, sifted
5 fl oz (150 ml) water
2 oz (50 g) butter
2 eggs, beaten
whipped cream or creme patissiere
melted chocolate or glace icing
1. Sift flour on to a sheet of greaseproof paper. Place the water and butter in a small pan and heat gently until the butter melts. Bring to the boil and immediately add the flour. Beat rapidly over the heat for about 1 minute until smooth.
2. Remove from the heat and beat for about 5 minutes until cooled. Gradually beat in just enough egg to form a smooth, glossy, stiff paste.
3. Using a large piping bag and 1/2 inch (1 cm) plain or star nozzle, pipe the choux pastry into 3 inch (7.5 cm) fingers on to a greased baking tray.
4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at Mark 7 (220°C) 425°F until brown and very crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Split. Dip the tops of the buns in melted chocolate or glace icing and fill bases with whipped cream or creme patissiere. Sandwich together.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!