1 cooking apple, peeled and cored
2 hen pheasants
pork fat or 6 rashers streaky bacon, rinded
few sprigs of thyme
2 tbsps Calvados (apple brandy) or brandy
1 1/2 oz (40 g) unsalted butter
4 eating apples, peeled and cored
5 fl oz/150 ml single cream
1. Place 1/2 cooking apple inside each pheasant. Cover birds with a thin layer of pork fat or bacon rashers and secure with string.
2. Place pheasant on a rack in a roasting tin and pour a little boiling water into the tin. Add a few sprigs of thyme and an unpeeled and halved onion to the water.
3. Cover the whole tin with foil and bake at Mark 3 (160°C) 325°F for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the foil and fat. Increase the oven temperature to Mark 5 (190°C) 375°F for 35 minutes to brown the breast.
5. Remove birds and keep warm Spoon off fat from roasting juices, add Calvados to deglaze.
6. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the apples and saute gently for 5 to 10 minutes until softened. Add the roasting juices and the Calvados.
7. Stir in the cream and warm gently. Pour over pheasant and serve immediately.
24 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!