12 oz (350 g) gooseberries
1 oz (25 g) caster sugar
12 oz (350 g) monkfish, trimmed
3 oz (75 g) peeled prawns
1/2 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
1 lb (450 g) puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1. Place 8 oz (225 g) gooseberries, the sugar and 1 tbsp water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
2. Sieve. Cut the remaining gooseberries in half. Cut the monkfish into small cubes and mix with the gooseberries, half the puree, prawns, red pepper and season with freshly ground black pepper.
3. Roll out two thirds of the pastry to 1/8 inch (2 mm) thick. Cut out six 4 1/2 inch (11 cm) circles and use to line six 3'/2 inch/ 9 cm fluted tartlet tins. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Prick the bases well and line with greaseproof paper or foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind at Mark 6 (200°C) 400°F for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the beans and paper and allow to cool slightly. Divide the filling between the pastry cases. Brush the edges with beaten egg. Roll out the remaining pastry to 1/8 inch (2 mm) thick and cut out six 3 1/2 inch (9 cm) circles.
6. Cover the pies and seal the edges firmly.
7. Decorate with pastry fish cut from the trimmings and brush with a little beaten egg. Bake at Ma rk 6 (200°C) 400°F for a further 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Heat the reserved gooseberry puree and serve with the pies.
24 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!