serves 4 - 6
50 g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
200 ml (7 fl oz) milk
1.4 kg (3 lb) shoulder of lamb, boned
60 ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
4 sticks celery, cleaned and trimmed
1 onion, skinned and sliced
225 g (8 oz) cooking apples, skinned and sliced
1/2 level tsp chili powder
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
60 ml (4 level tbsp) flour
400 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
chopped fresh parsley to garnish
1. Bring the coconut to the boil in the milk and 200 ml (7 fl oz) water. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain into a jug, pressing The coconut to extract all the juice.
2. Cut up the lamb into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes, discarding excess fat. Brown in hot oil in a flameproof casserole, then remove.
3. Cut the celery into 5 cm (2 inch) long pieces and brown with the onion and apple in the residual oil.
4. Stir in the spices and flour. Gradually stir in the stock, coconut milk and seasoning and bring to the boil.
5. Replace meat, cover and cook in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 1 1/4 hours. Garnish with parsley.
17 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!