makes 3 lb (1.4 kg)
2 lb (900 g) redcurrants, washed
3 lb (1.4 kg) cooking apples, washed and roughly chopped
about 2 pints (1.1 litre) water
1 lb (450 g) granulated or preserving sugar per pint (600 ml) of juice
1. Put the cooking apples and redcurrants into a preserving pan or large heavy saucepan and add the water.
2. Bring to a simmer, then simmer for about 1 hour until very soft and pulpy. Mash well, then strain.
3. Measure the strained juice into the rinsed out pan and add 1 lb (450 g) sugar per pint (600 ml) of juice.
4. Heat until the sugar is dissolved, then boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
5. Skim quickly, then pour immediately into warmed jars, top with waxed discs and cover the jars.