serves 6 - 8
4 cups (1 litre) 1 3/4 pint milk
about 175 g (6 oz grits)
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch of salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 oz (100 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Lightly butter a casserole with at least a 1.5 litre (2 1/2 pt) capacity.
2. Heat 850 ml (1 1/3 pt) milk to just below the boiling point.
3. Add grits, paprika and salt. Stir constantly over medium heat until the grits absorb the milk and the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
4. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring almost constantly, until grits lose their raw flavour, 20-25 minutes.
5. Add butter and stir until it is melted and blended.
6. Mix eggs with remaining milk. Add egg mixture and cheese to grits, stirring until well blended.
7. Pour grits into a casserole dish. Bake at 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 until mixture sets and top is lightly browned, 45—55 minutes.