25 g (1 oz) butter
1 medium onion, chopped
75 g (3 oz) carrot, peeled and sliced
75 g (3 oz) celery, chopped
25 g (1 oz) flour
rind and juice of 2 large lemons
900 ml (1 1/2 pints) chicken stock
150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh milk
2 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml (5 fl oz) fresh single cream
finely chopped chives and fresh single cream
1. Melt butter in saucepan, add vegetables and cook gently for 5 - 10 minutes until soft. Stir in flour.
2. Add the rind from one lemon to the pan with the stock, milk and bay leaves.
3. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly then cover pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining lemon rind and juice.
5. Cool the soup, remove bay leaves, then puree a little, until vegetables remain chunky. Season to taste and stir in the cream.
6. Chill well and serve garnished with chives and cream.