shortcrust pastry made with 225 g plain flour
175 g full fat soft cheese
100 g caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 X 15 ml spoons redcurrant jelly
2 X 15ml spoons double or whipping cream
4 X 15 ml spoons redcurrant jelly
fresh redcurrants (optional)
Oven: 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5
1. Roll out the pastry quite thinly. Cut into 6 rounds and use to line individual tartlet or patty tins. Prick the bottoms.
2. To make the filling, soften the cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat in 50 g (2 oz) of the caster sugar, the egg yolks, redcurrant jelly and cream.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining caster sugar.
4. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture. Divide the cheese mixture between the pastry cases. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set. Allow to cool.
5. For the decoration, put the redcurrant jelly into a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the jelly has melted.
6. Spoon over each cheese tart to give an even glaze.
7. Leave until set. Decorate with small sprigs of fresh redcurrants.