180 g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa)
175 g butter, softened
125 g unrefined sugar
200 g ground almonds
4 eggs, separated
for the icing:
100 g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa)
50 g butter
1. Heat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Line a 25 cm push-up-bottom or springform cake tin with baking parchment.
Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it in a bain-marie (that is, in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water).
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, using an electric whisk if you have one. Add the ground almonds, egg yolks and melted chocolate, and beat until evenly blended.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, add to the cake mixture and quickly fold in until evenly mixed using a large metal spoon. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35 minutes. A light crust will form on the top and the middle should still be a little squishy. Leave to cool a little before carefully removing from the tin.
5. For the icing, melt the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie, drizzle over the cake and leave to set.