450 g each of brill, conger eel, mackerel, John Dory, red mullet, whiting and squid
1 kg mussels
250 g scampi
200 ml olive oil
250 g white of leek, cut into julienne
200 g sliced onion
finely chopped garlic
pinch fennel seeds
5 g chopped parsley
500 g tomato concassee
500 ml dry white wine seasoning
1. Clean all the fish and cut into 5 cm sections on the bone; scrape and wash the mussels.
2. Heat the oil in a large shallow pan, add the vegetables, herbs, garlic and all the fish. Cover with a lid and sweat for 5 minutes, shaking occasionally.
3. Add the remainder of the ingredients, cover and allow to cook gently for 15 minutes.
4. Check the seasoning and the balance between the fish and the liquid. Remove one shell and the beards from the mussels.
5. Serve in a soup tureen, accompanied by slices of French bread. It is the tradition to sup most of the liquid as a soup and follow it with the fish as main course, eaten from the same soup plate.
An authentic bouillabaisse is made using Mediterranean fish; the above recipe closely approximates to it using North Sea fish.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews