Boeufa La Ficelle is a classic French dish using sirloin beef or rump steak, with several common vegetables and peppercorns.
1 x 2 lb (900 g) fillet (Tenderloin Steak) or sirloin of beef, or rump steak
2 celery stalks
1 small turnip
2 tsp sea salt
12 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1. Press the meat into a neat shape with sufficient string to suspend the meat from the handle of a spoon laid across the top of the pan. The meat should not touch the bottom of the pan, but should be fully covered by the water. Test this before you start to cook.
2. Peel, trim and slice the vegetables. Put them into the saucepan with the cloves and seasonings and enough water to cover the meat, but do not put the meat in yet.
3. Bring the water to a full rolling boil and then add the meat. Bring the water back to the boil and then turn down the heat to the merest simmer.
4. Poach the meat for 15 minutes per 1 lb (455 g).
5. Have a hot serving dish and all the accompaniments ready for the cooked meat.
6. Before slicing it, trim all external fat from the meat.
16 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!