1.5 kg (3 lb) topside
3 cloves garlic, slivered
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 onions, chopped
3 tbsp brandy
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp each dried or 1 tbsp each chopped fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary
125 ml (4 fl oz) dry red wine
125 ml (4 fl oz) meat stock
13 oz (410 g) whole tomatoes, chopped
4 celery stalks, cut into julienne strips
4 carrots, sliced
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1. Make small incisions in meat and insert garlic. Secure meat with string to retain its shape during cooking.
2. Brown meat in heated cooking oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and saute until translucent.
3. Heat brandy in a small saucepan, pour over meat and ignite. Shake to and fro until flames are extinguished.
4. Add seasoning, heated wine, meat stock and tomatoes. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
5. Add celery and carrots 15 minutes before end of cooking time. Thicken liquid with a flour and water paste
52 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!