1 cup (110 g) each brown and white strong plain flours
5 g white cooking fat
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried yeast
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
5/8 cup (115 g) dried apricots, chopped
50 g broken walnuts
2 tbls (25 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1. Dissolve sugar in a cupful of hand hot water (from the amount above) then sprinkle dried yeast on top. Leave until frothy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add, with rest of liquid, to flours, salt, apricots, walnuts and sugar. Mix to a soft scone-like dough.
3. Knead the dough thoroughly on a lightly floured surface.
4. Shape the loaf in order to half-fill a well greased loaf tin or flower pot.
5. Mix with one hand until the mixture is no longer streaky.
6. Two-thirds fill the prepared tin (bottom-lined and greased) and cover with cling film until dough rises to within 1cm of the top of the tins. One hour in a warm place, longer in a cool one.
7. Bake at 200°C, gas mark 6 for 40-45 minutes.