makes 2 litres (3 1/2 pints)
2 kg (4 lb) shin of beef, sliced
6 baby carrots
2 onions, with skin
1 celery stalk, cut into chunks
1 bouquet garni
1 tbsp vinegar
3 litres (5 pints) cold water
1. Place meat in a large roasting tin and roast at 160°C (325 °F) gas 3 for 30 minutes.
2. Transfer to a large heavy-based saucepan and add remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to the boil and skim. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours.
4. Skim frequently and replenish with boiling water if necessary.
5. Strain, skim off fat, then strain again.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!