The name of the fish should be incorporated into the menu title, e.g. Cold Salmon Mousse (Mousse Froid de Saumon).
500 g poached fish
200 ml fish veloute
200 ml aspic jelly
300 ml cream
salt, pepper and nutmeg
100 ml melted aspic jelly
1. Mince the FISH finely and pass through a sieve.
2. Place in a basin and add the cool veloute and melted aspic jelly, stirring with a wooden spatule.
3. Place on ice and continue to stir until the mixture shows signs of beginning to set. Fold in the cream and season to taste.
4. Pour the mixture into a suitable earthenware or glass dish and place into a refrigerator to set.
5. Decorate as desired, e.g. with cooked vegetables cut into neat shapes to form a pattern. Cover with cool melted aspic jelly and allow to set in a refrigerator.
1. A curdled mixture may be rectified by slowly beating it on to a little veloute or cream, but this is not always entirely successful.
2. The mousse should have an even, fine texture and be just firm enough to set.
3. It should be of a delicate flavour; the flavour of the aspic should not predominate.
4. Decoration should be simple and neat.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!